Doing Our Part
As stewards of the land, Sunnyside Packing Company and our affiliate growers invest heavily in the future of the land we farm, the communities in which we live and in the air which we breathe. That’s why each year we go to great lengths to ensure that we take care of the land and the environment that has been so good to us. We are constantly researching and implementing new production and business practices that will help preserve our environment for future generations. Here are just a few things that we do each year to help do our part…
● Uses plastic mulch and drip tape on 100% of our ground to aid in water and nutrient retention, significantly reducing the amount of fungicides and herbicides used and preventing the over application of synthetic fertilizers.
● Conducts soil analyses each year on all of our ground to ensure that we are only applying the amount of fertilizer that the crop needs; no more, no less.
● Implemented an Integrated Pest Management (IPM) program that requires us to spray pesticides only when necessary.
● Have spent tens of thousands of dollars on dust control measures that has contributed to significantly reducing PM10 emissions in the San Joaquin Valley.
● Have taken all old diesel pumps out of commission using only electric pumps.
● Developed and implemented a Conservation Management Plan (CMP) to help improve the Valley’s air quality.